When Joe Donlon hauls anchor over to WBBM-Channel 2 next month, it will mark the 14th change in 22 years to the talent lineup on the CBS-owned station's nightly newscasts.
Wednesday's announcement that Donlon would replace Brad Edwards alongside Irika Sargent at 5, 6 and 10 p.m. raised hopes once again of creating a team that clicks with each other and with viewers.
Granted it's been close to 50 years since it happened before — when Bill Kurtis and Walter Jacobson first teamed up on "THE Ten O'Clock News." But with CBS 2 again under the leadership of smart people who know what they're doing, who knows? Maybe there'll be magic in the air again.
They'll need that and a lot more. In the latest Nielsen ratings sweep, CBS 2's late news ran dead last in key adult demographics, finishing sixth out of six.
Here's a rundown of CBS 2’s 10 p.m. anchors since Y2K:
- Carol Marin (2000)
- David Kerley and Linda MacLennan (2000 to 2001)
- David Kerley and Tracy Townsend (2001 to 2002)
- Antonio Mora and Tracy Townsend (2002)
- Antonio Mora and Linda MacLennan (2002 to 2003)
- Antonio Mora and Tracy Townsend (2003)
- Antonio Mora and Diann Burns (2003 to 2007)
- Rob Johnson and Diann Burns (2007 to 2008)
- Rob Johnson and Anne State (2008 to 2009)
- Rob Johnson (2009 to 2010)
- Rob Johnson and Kate Sullivan (2010 to 2015)
- Rob Johnson and Irika Sargent (2015 to 2019)
- Brad Edwards and Irika Sargent (2019 to 2022)
- Joe Donlon and Irika Sargent (2022)
Wednesday’s comment of the day: Amy Jacobson: A brilliant move!